Founded at the turn of the 20th century as the George Taylor Undertaking Company, the funeral home originally existed as a store front operation on North Main St. in Mt. Pleasant, just a block south of our current location. The funeral home was purchased by Dan Cookes in 1916.
In 1935, Dan moved the establishment to the corner of Main and Henry Streets into the stately Sergeant/Worthington Home, one of the history "3 Sisters" houses of Mt. Pleasant. Following Dan's death in 1948, his wife Nellie sold the funeral home to Al Lunning, who operated it as the Lunning-Cookes Funeral Home.
In 1955, Al Lunning sold the funeral home to M. Hall Weir of Mt. Pleasant. Hall operated the business as the Weir-Cookes funeral home until 1975, when he renamed it the Weir Funeral Home. Hall sold the business to his son Tom in 1984. In 2001, Tom sold the funeral home to the current owner, Mark Kimzey. While a student at Iowa Wesleyan College, Mark had worked at the funeral home for Hall and Tom.
In the future, Mark intends to maintain the warmth, charm and character the home in response to the many people who enter the funeral home and admire its craftsmanship and beauty.